Table of Contents
This Notice applies to all trademarks, service marks, designations, or trade names (collectively, “Trademarks”) owned or used by Block.one or its affiliates (collectively, “Block.one”). Trademarks may be in various forms and include, but are not limited to, letters, words, logos, devices, designs, images, slogans, colors, product shapes and/or packaging.
This Notice is divided into three sections:
A. Our Trademarks. Our Trademarks are for Block.one’s exclusive use. Section A identifies some of our Trademarks and the limited circumstances of “fair use” in which you may be legally entitled to utilize certain Block.one Trademarks.
B. Community Trademarks. These are the specific Trademarks that we permit you to use under license in accordance with this Notice as a limited exception to the prohibition on using our Trademarks. Section B sets out the limited scope of permissible uses, restrictions on uses, and the rules for using or referring to the Community Trademarks.
C. General Rules. These are the rules for proper usage of our Trademarks, to the extent such usage is permitted under this Notice. Section C applies to all cases, including cases when you are using or referring to the Community Trademarks and in addition to the other requirements and restrictions set out in this Notice.
IMPORTANT: Block.one considers its Trademarks to be some of its most valuable intellectual property. As such, Block.one retains all rights in its Trademarks, and will take all appropriate measures to protect and preserve the strength and goodwill of the Trademarks. You can help Block.one in this endeavor by following this Notice. If you learn of any words, letters, designs, devices, logos, icons, or images that are confusingly similar to any Block.one Trademarks, or you see any use of the Trademarks that violates this Notice, please notify Block.one by using the Contact Form here. If possible, please provide a link to or copy of the relevant item.
A. Our Trademarks
Our Trademarks include, but are not limited to, those listed below. This list is not exhaustive and may be updated by Block.one from time to time.
Our Trademarks (non-exhaustive list)
Prohibition on Use of Our Trademarks
Block.one expressly prohibits any use, registration, or attempted registration of any Trademarks owned and/or used by Block.one now and in the future. As the owner of these Trademarks, Block.one reserves the right to oppose, challenge, cancel, or otherwise object to any attempts to apply for or register any of these Trademarks, or any resulting registrations for these Trademarks.
We acknowledge the possibility of lawful fair use of these Trademarks, with “fair use” being a concept that is recognized throughout most of the world and permits the use of another’s trademark to refer to the trademark owner’s actual goods and services associated with the trademark. For example, the trademark can be used to describe the thing rather than to identify its source, but not in a manner that implies sponsorship or endorsement by the trademark owner. Fair use generally applies to parody and non-commercial use of trademarks in academic articles, media reports, and similar.
If you are unsure if your intended use of a Block.one Trademark is a permitted form of “fair use”, you should consult an attorney.
Examples of fair use “do’s” and “don’ts” in relation to the Block.one Trademarks are provided below for reference. As a rule of thumb, if your intended use of a Block.one Trademark is to directly and factually refer to Block.one or its products or services, including true, accurate, not misleading, and verifiable facts about Block.one’s business or the EOSIO blockchain platform or community, then it probably qualifies as a “do.” But, if your intended use of a Trademark is to promote your own goods or services or to suggest that you are endorsed by or otherwise affiliated with Block.one, then such use is probably a “don’t,” and may subject you to liability for trademark infringement and/or passing off. We do not consider any use of our Trademarks for keyword bidding or web advertisement purposes to be a form of fair use.
B. The Community Trademarks
As a special exception to the prohibition on using Block.one Trademarks, we designate certain Trademarks identified below as “Community Trademarks”. For clarity, any Trademark, logo, slogan, device, design, word, letter, image, and etc. owned, licensed, and/or used by Block.one now or at any time in the future that is not specified in this Section B is not a Community Trademark. As such, this Section B pertains to the use of the Community Trademarks identified below only.
IMPORTANT: Block.one reserves the right, at any time in its sole discretion, to change or terminate this Notice, revoke, reduce the scope of, or otherwise alter any permission or license given to you under this Notice, or terminate all usage of one or more of the Community Trademarks. Any updated Notice will take effect immediately after its publication or our notification to you. Your continued use of the Community Trademarks after the publication of the updated Notice or our notification to you constitutes your acceptance of the updated terms. You must cease using the Community Trademarks immediately if you do not agree to the updated Notice. Please check this Notice regularly to determine what license rights, if any, you have. Block.one does not purport to grant any rights in any intellectual property owned by third parties.
Community Trademarks (only these specified)
- EOS (the “EOS Community Trademark”)
- (the “Wireframe Heptahedron Community Trademark”)
IMPORTANT: Only the Wireframe Heptahedron Community Trademark as shown here is designated as a Community Trademark. All other versions of the heptahedron, including the solid 3D version and the filled version Trademarks identified in Section A above, are not Community Trademarks and you must not use these Trademarks.
- POWERED BY EOSIO and (the “Powered by EOSIO” Community Trademarks)
In using the Community Trademarks in accordance with this Notice, you expressly acknowledge and agree that Block.one is the exclusive owner of the Community Trademarks, that you do not and will not acquire any rights in the Community Trademarks, and that any goodwill generated by your use of the Community Trademarks inures solely to the benefit of Block.one. If you acquire any rights in the Community Trademarks, by operation of law or otherwise, such rights and corresponding goodwill hereby are irrevocably assigned to Block.one without further action by any party. Subject to the foregoing and to the permitted uses of the Community Trademarks, Block.one does not purport to acquire any rights or ownership in any logos or brands that you create.
Permitted Use of Community Trademarks
You are permitted under license, on a revocable, non-transferrable, non-sublicensable, royalty-free basis, from Block.one to use the Community Trademarks in the “EOSIO Ecosystem” (being the EOSIO ecosystem of blockchains, applications, and related software and services), subject to your compliance with this Notice. So long as use of the Community Trademarks comports with the use restrictions prescribed in this Notice, Block.one considers the following to be permissible uses of the Community Trademarks in the EOSIO Ecosystem:
1. Use of the EOS Community Trademark or Wireframe Heptahedron Community Trademark:
- On a flyer, invitation or similar graphic promoting a meet-up or similar event for the EOSIO community or an EOSIO-based blockchain community (such as the EOS public blockchain community)
- On merchandise or “swag” for promotion of your EOSIO community event, provided that such merchandise or “swag” is not separately sold or distributed
- To accurately identify your website, online group or blog as part of the EOSIO community
- In software where the relevant graphic file is included in open source EOSIO software distributed by Block.one.
2. Use of the Powered by EOSIO Community Trademarks:
- To accurately indicate that your blockchain, distributed ledger, application, token, smart contract, virtual machine or similar, or a tool, plugin, library, server, or other software designed for use with or development of any of the foregoing, is built, developed and/or designed on or for EOSIO
To the extent permitted by law, Block.one disclaims any express or implied warranty, including any warranty against non-infringement of third-party intellectual property rights, regarding your use of the Community Trademarks.
Any uses of the Community Trademarks that do not comport with the general use rules outlined in Section C of this Notice requires the prior consent of Block.one.
If you are unsure if your intended use of a Community Trademark is permitted under this Notice, you should consult an attorney.
Restrictions on Use of Community Trademarks
1. You must not use the Community Trademarks in any manner unrelated to or outside the EOSIO Ecosystem. Block.one licenses the use of the Community Trademarks only in relation to the EOSIO Ecosystem as set out above and reserves all rights in relation to using the Community Trademarks outside of this field. Any use of any Community Trademarks outside of the EOSIO Ecosystem is prohibited and may subject you to trademark infringement, passing off, or other legal claims or remedies from Block.one or third parties.
2. You must not use the Community Trademarks in any manner that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest that you are an agent or affiliate of Block.one, endorsed by Block.one, or otherwise authorized to act on behalf of Block.one. Use of the Community Trademarks does not imply an endorsement of your application or service by Block.one nor does it constitute a partnership or any direct or indirect business relationship between you and Block.one.
3. You must not file an application to register any trademark, business name, or other designation containing or comprised of, in whole or in part, the Community Trademarks in any jurisdiction throughout the world. As the owner of the Community Trademarks, Block.one reserves the right to oppose, challenge, cancel, or otherwise object to any attempts to apply for or register the Community Trademarks, or any resulting registrations for the Community Trademarks.
4. You must not use the Community Trademarks in false or misleading advertising or in any objectionable material. Such material may include, but is not limited to, any illegal, defamatory, scandalous, pornographic or other material determined to be objectionable by Block.one in its sole discretion.
5. You must not use the Community Trademarks to disparage Block.one. You must not use the Community Trademarks in order to disparage Block.one, our personnel, products or services, or in any manner that, in Block.one’s judgement, may diminish or damage Block.one’s reputation or goodwill of the Community Trademarks. This is in no way meant to discourage legitimate opinion or commentary.
C. General Use Rules for any Block.one Trademarks
Whether you are using the Block.one Community Trademarks in accordance with this Notice or using Block.one Trademarks within the scope of lawful fair use, such use must comport with the following guides and restrictions:
1. Whenever possible, use of the Trademarks should be accompanied by a notice that clearly indicates that the Trademarks are owned by Block.one.
2. Always use the Trademarks in their exact form with the correct spelling, and never abbreviated, hyphenated, or combined with any other word or words.
3. Do not use or display the Trademarks in any manner that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest that you are an agent or affiliate of Block.one or otherwise authorized to act on behalf of Block.one.
4. Do not use or display the Trademarks in any manner that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest editorial content has been authored by or represents the views or opinions of Block.one or Block.one personnel.
5. Do not copy or imitate any trade dress used or owned by Block.one, including the overall look and feel of any Block.one websites, web design properties, or brand packaging, distinctive color combinations, typography, graphic designs, product icons, or imagery.
6. Do not change any Trademark except to scale it. This means you may not add decorative elements, change the colors, change the proportions, distort it, add elements, or combine it with other logos.
7. Do not use or display any Trademarks in places that are associated with illegal activities, including but not limited to any websites that display, encourage, or are in any way associated with drug dealing, human trafficking, illegal pornography, gambling, or violence.
8. Do not use or display any Trademarks in a manner that is, in Block.one’s opinion, misleading, libelous, disparaging, confusing, obscene, or otherwise objectionable to Block.one.
If you are unsure if your intended use comports with these requirements, you should consult an attorney.